Book Review - The Rhythm of the Rain by Grahame Baker-Smith


Issac plays in his favorite pool on the mountain side.  As the rain starts to fall, he empties his little jar of water into the pool and races the sparkling streams as they tumble over waterfalls, rush through swollen rivers and burst out into the vast open sea.

Where will my little jar of water go now? Issac wonders.

On the other side of the world, Cassie welcomes the rain to her parched village...

From tiniest raindrop to deepest ocean,
this breathtaking celebration of the water cyclecaptures the remarkable movement of water across the earth in all it's majesty. 







I desperately wanted this picture book to add to my collection the moment I caught a glimpse of the illustrations inside during it's promotion. And I was not disappointed. What can I say? I love and treasure this book. It inspires me.

I recommended it to all picture book collectors, particularly those who, like me,  love to admire the artwork. It's also a beautifully simple introduction to the water cycle, suitable for young children.

This large, hardback picture book has the most stunning cover. You can't quite tell from the photo, but the rain across the title is foiled, and it glistens and shines as you move it. 

The book is of a lovely quality, the pages are thick and silky, the colours vivid, and the illustrations... well... they are just awe inspiring.










The story is deceptively simple. A little boy called Issac plays at a pool up in the mountains, and as it starts to rain, he tips away his jar of water and races it as it flows downstream. He wonders where it will go. 

And so the story describes how the water flows down the sparkling rivers all the way to the sea, and then it rises up again into the air, before falling onto Cassie's parched village. The villagers celebrate the water's arrival. Then the water flows back down the rivers and into the vast ocean once again. 

The water cycle. Simple, educational, and beautifully told. 

But I think there is also a deeper meaning within the story, about how we are all connected to nature, and also to each other. I cannot put it better than the author himself in his beautiful dedication to his wife. 


'The rhythms and cycles of this wonderful world we live in are reflected and echoed in our very own selves and in those whom we love.' 




Comments

Popular Posts