A Long Overdue Update

 Hey there! 

It's been a while hasn't it? I decided it was time for a long overdue update - on what I've been doing so far, and my future plans. 

So, I have basically been full-time illustrating for about five years now.  I am usually working on two picture books at a time, all the year through, and that schedule has meant that I have illustrated over FORTY picture books so far... and counting! Phew! 

It's still kind of wild to me that I manage to pay my bills by drawing pictures, and I will never stop being grateful for that. And it doesn't matter how many picture books I illustrate, it always makes me feel a little emotional when I realise what a special moment it is for each author to actualize their book publishing dreams. 

However, one thing I have not done over these five years... is anything for myself. 

Now, this isn't a complaint at all. I have managed to navigate Covid and lockdown, purchase my own house (major achievement!) and I am just about keeping my head above the water with the cost of living crisis. My busy work schedule has enabled me to do this. That's pretty amazing for a freelance artist. AND I got to work with some absolutely very lovely and talented people too. 

But still, every year I have promised myself that I would write a book that was MINE. And every year I have failed to find the time, energy, or inspiration to do so. I have a folder with about four 'started and not finished books', plus one book that's 'finished but I've decided needs re-writing'

There was just something that seemed to be holding me back from actually finishing a project. So frustrating! 

Anyway, a few personal and health things have led me to ease up on my schedule this year - not too much (because who can afford that?) but just enough to breathe.  And that smidgen of extra time seemed to do the trick, because guys... I  actually finished a story! 

Not only finished a story, but I've illustrated it too! 

It's a chapter book aimed at children around my daughter's age (so, aged 7-10) and it features the most adorable and funny characters ever! Seriously, I am SO excited for you to meet them. The story seemed to evolve so easily, and I really let myself go with the flow. It's a mixture of quirky, magical, and just plain silly. I had a blast drawing the black and white sketches which feature on almost every page too. 

The book is now in the final stages where I will be checking the proofs and making any last minute edits, and I am hoping it will be available around Easter time - So watch this space! 

Oh, and guess what? I've already started writing the second book in the series! 

Comments

Popular Posts