Introducing... ME!


I pondered for a few moments on what to write for my first post about and thought that the most sensible thing would be an introduction to myself.

So who am I? 





My name is Zoe Saunders. I'm 35 (how did that happen?) and I'm an artist and illustrator.

I work in watercolour and more recently, digitally.  My style is sweet and whimsical. I have found my true passion in illustrating and writing children's books, and am working hard to make it a (paying) career. I started illustrating at the beginning of this year, and so far have illustrated 5 stories for other authors, and I have loved every minute. My own first self-published book 'How to Make a Wish' is being released soon, and I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.

A double page spread from my own upcoming picture book 'How to Make a Wish

I live in Cheshire, and help to run a lovely little boarding kennels and doggie daycare with my husband and first love, Lee. The dogs are my husband's life, and he loves and cares for them all like they're his own. I'm not sure where I'd be without his endless energy and ability to bounce out of bed at 6am in the morning every single day. He also provides me with endless cups of tea, cuddles, and encouragement. 


 




We have two crazy children. George, who is 5, and Matilda, who is 2. Both of them are weird and wonderful, funny, emotional, and feisty children (particularly the girl child, whoah is she feisty!) They are simultaneously an absolute joy and a total menace. It sure is a wild ride this parenting lark.


   



I'm an avid reader as you can imagine, and willing to give any genre a go. But I particularly love dark fairy tales with strong female protagonists, something with a touch of magic... and animals! I also love to write and have recently started a creative writing course with the hope of writing a children's or young adult novel one day.

I'm an animal lover of course. Dogs, horses, and most of all, chickens! We have a little flock that lives in our garden, which includes three ex-battery rescues, Princess Layer, She-Ra, and Xena. Our Chickens are an absolute joy and I have a feeling they may be featuring on this blog regularly.




I'm also a type 1 diabetic which involves a lot of hard work. Finger pricks, injections, and a strict diet. I may occasionally get on my high horse about this disease and it's misrepresentation in the media, so do forgive me! I'd love to write and illustrate a picture book one day for newly diagnosed children.





So that's me! Nice to meet you and welcome to my blog.






Zoe xxx



Comments

Popular Posts